Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Week

So, it has been a little bit since I wrote last. I have been pretty busy at work and haven't had much to write about. So I figured I would just tell about my week.

Last week, we started to pick up at work some. We do jobs for many of the schools in the area (MD, DC, & VA). With school starting up again, we are starting to get more work in. That is good news since it was a difficult time leading up to the summer and I didn't know if the company would make it through. I guess I can credit management with that. But it was at the expense of some of my friends who are no longer working here.

This past Saturday (8/29), we celebrated my sister's 50th birthday. I know what you're thinking, she's old. Well, my brother will be just as old in two years from this Thursday (the 3rd of September). Then there is a long gap before I even get close to that mile stone. Her birthday is actually on the 17th, but she and most of her family were in Florida with my parents that week and so we couldn't all celebrate together. So, come to find out, my sister had pretty much been told about this party on Saturday even though it was supposed to be a surprise. There were a few things that happened leading up to that day that tipped her off. It is a shame since my two nieces and nephew worked so hard setting this all up. Oh well.

We bought a new computer and so I set it up. It has been somewhat of a hastle, but it is all set up now and everything seems to work. When the installer came for COX to set up my phone, internet and television, he put a splitter on the cable going to my modem. This worked out great for me. I hooked it up to my SlingBox and now can watch my cable TV anywhere I want over the internet. The only problem (and I haven't figured out why just yet) is that I can't pick up many of the channels. Especially the local channels. It doesn't make sense, but I can't get 4, 5, 7 or 9. I can get ESPN, ESPN2 and MASN which are the channels that I watch the most other than the local channels. I think I have a plan that I am hoping will work to make things even better. I will hook the SlingBox up to one of my Directv boxes and then I will be able to watch all of those channels. (HBOs, Sports Package, Sunday Ticket, etc) The only thing I have to do is find my cable that has ethernet on one end and USB on the other. The main problem is that the SlingBox is the first version and there is no USB port in the back. That is why having the splitter at the modem was so great. I could just plug the unused cable into the SlingBox and the ethernet cable into the router and I am done. But in order to use my Directv box, I need to go wireless. Or use the proline boxes I have which will send the signal through the electrical current in the walls. I couldn't get that to work before, but I think I can now with the new router. But I can only find one box right now. The other thing I can do is use the wireless adapter that I have, but it uses a USB port. That is why I need to find the cable that I have somewhere that will work with that.

I know this is a lot of info that most people would probably think is either boring or just don't understand. But it helps me think things through and get stuff off my mind. I doubt anyone will actually read this anyway. But if you do, comment.

Until next time. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment